Thursday, May 7, 2009

Waiting in Anticipation

12 weeks is sure taking it's sweet time. It's been nearly four weeks since we went to see the Bowyer in Rupert and placed our order. For what? Long bows. Mike and I both ordered custom long bows and I am eager to get mine. Unfortunately. it takes time to make them, especially since so many others are ahead of us on the list. Nonetheless I can't wait for it to be finished. The woods I chose are Osage for limb lamination and Paduak for my riser. The acrylic on my limbs will be clear so you can see the wood grain. I'm hoping it will be as pretty as I picture in my mind.
OSAGE Comes from all over the Southern U.S. Has many local names such as "bodart," "bodark," "hedge," "hedge apple," "horse apple," "bois de arc", and probably others I've never heard of! Very hard and heavy wood that has been used forever in selfbows. Color varies from bright yellow to deep orange, tends to darken with age.
PADUAK Comes from West Africa. Bright orange-red, often with dark stripes.

1 comment:

chenoa said...

I think you should start learning to make them yourself. You can set up a bow making space right next to your scrapbooking space. Or if you move out to the sticks as you hope, you can whittle them from the trees in the forest...