Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I survived....

What you need to survive a trip with little ones:
If your wondering why the picture of ice bucket (liners)... the story will follow.
We headed out of town last Wednesday, destination Albuquerque. Madi and Gabe's first request Shrek, I loaded the DVD and away we went. The first stop was Cabelas. The kids had been awake thus far and it was great timing for lunch and for the kids to stretch their legs. We loaded back up and headed down the road. The kids took their afternoon nap.
Next stop Monticello, Utah. Monticello's claim to fame is...
The first "little" temple built for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints". We stopped for dinner and let the kids play at a park. They had a good time.
After dinner we continued on. (Notice Gabe's red cheeks, it isn't sun or wind burn and it wasn't caused by the cold... Madi's cheeks are turning red too.) Our goal Cortez, Colorado.
40 miles outside of Cortez, Madi lost it. I'm talking about her dinner. She threw up all over herself and car seat. We pulled over and cleaned things up as best we could. We checked into our hotel and bathed the kids. Madi did not sleep at all that night and threw up numerous times during the night. When we loaded up the van on Thursday, we packed ice bucket liners. They made great barf bags. Madi fell asleep and slept until about 45 miles outside of Albuquerque. She threw up again, but this time it all landed in the bag. However, Gabe had decided he wasn't feeling well. I wasn't prepared and he threw up all over himself and his seat. Gabe felt much better after he let it all out. We stopped and cleaned things up as best as we could. I was so grateful to finally make it to Albuquerque. The kids wanted to play, so we found a park and ate lunch.
Curtis met us at the hotel and Madi and Gabe were so excited to see their uncle.
Friday morning we took the kids to:

a hands on learning experience of kids.

Friday night we went to the church to set up for the reception. Except Madi had one more spill, so we arrived a little bit later.

Luckily, both kids were feeling much better on Saturday. Curtis is now hitched and life is good.

We made it home with only one minor incident of car sickness.
Here are a few cute things Madi said or did on our trip:
My dad had one of these
it told us to turn "right". Madi responded: "I don't know how to turn right, I don't have a driver's license.
At the reception, Madi was playing with two other little girls, they had left the stage and she yelled "Hey you, hey you girls, get back here, I need to show you something." When the girls came up on the stage, she thought for a moment and pulled a funny face.
On Saturday night, Madi woke up in the night saying (or what I thought she was saying) I need 'juice'. I got up to get her a juice box, and she screamed "No, not a juice box, I need my shoes. I put her shoes on, she climbed back into bed, and went to sleep.
My goal for this trip was to take a lot of pictures. I didn't make it, I had my hands full.... I was surprised with how well behaved my kids were in the car. They were quite and were happy watching movies. I'm glad I was able to celebrate my brother's wedding with him. I was happy my grandma, aunt and sister were also there. I'm excited for Curtis and the adventure he has to look forward to. Congratulations.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Lettie, sounds like quite the adventure. You gotta love those DVD players it makes trips SO much more enjoyable with the kids! Cute photos!

Joyce said...

Thanks for sharing. Madi looks so adorable in her pretty dress. Your bro and his wife look so happy together.

Sherelle said...

Ok...sad story...but I have to say that I am glad I am not the only one with that kind of luck. Every time we try to go anywhere, it seems like my kids end up throwing up. I hope you had a great time regardless of the puking!

Brianna said...

I am so glad you posted this info. we are going on a road trip to disneyland next month, and I didn't even think of what to do in case the kids get sick. Let's face it, crazy things always happen when you least expect it. I'll definatly be prepared now. Madi looked so adorable in her dress, she is so cute!